Professional Development Seminars
Some documents are presented in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) only. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE SEMINAR!
**MAY - TOPEKA**
- May 9, 2013 - Topeka, Kansas
Paul H. Koehler, CPA Individual Practitioner, is a government and nonprofit services specialist who provides auditing, training and consulting services to governmental and nonprofit organizations and professionals nationwide. He is a member of the American Institute of CPAs and the Nebraska Society of CPAs, and is a Past President of the Lincoln Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants. Paul is a current member and past chairman of the State and Local Governmental Accounting and Auditing Committee and the Not-For-Profit Organizations Committee. A recipient of numerous Discussion Leader Awards of Excellence by the Nebraska Society of CPAs, Paul is a frequent speaker on governmental and nonprofit topics and instructs continuing professional education courses throughout the country for the AICPA.
Seminar Materials Available
Make Checks payable to:
- Association of Government Accountants
- Tax ID Number: 480965118-00
Mail Remittances to:
Marie Winter-Zima, Treasurer
PO Box 206
Topeka, KS 66603
- October 22, 2012 - Lawrence, Kansas
Please join us for an excellent opportunity for some challenging discussions and 8 hours of CPE.
George Vega, Former Director, Division of Personnel Services for the State of Kansas will discuss "How to Manage & Lead in Difficult Times."
Duane Goossen & Scott Brunner of the Kansas Health Institute will present "Understanding the Budget Puzzle & The Impact of the Tax Plan."
After lunch, Jackie Williams, Assistant Attorney General for the State of Kansas will discuss "Identity Theft: Keeping Our Data Safe."
We are pleased to have back Katherine Girgis & Chester Moyer of RubinBrown, LLP. This session will focus on "OMB Circular Proposed Changes and the Statewide Single Audit."
- May 23, 2012 - Topeka, Kansas - Jayhawk Tower, 7th & Jackson Thanks for those of you that joined us for an excellent seminar providing 8 hours of CPE. Speakers included Karen Lynn of Berberich,Trahan & Co; Ron Estes, Kansas State Treasurer; Scot Loyd of Swindoll, Janzen, Hawk & Loyd, LLC; Brendan Yorkey of the KS Division of Budget and Scott Frank of Legislative Post Audit. The topics include Ethics, FASB updates, an Update on KPERS; an overview of the Kansas Performance Management System; and an update on current activities of the Legislative Post Audit. Membership Scholarships of up to $90 were available at this Seminar
Scot Loyd's Ethics Presentation was available by itself, and lunch, for a reduced cost.
- March 28, 2012 - Lawrence, Kansas - KU Continuing Education Conference Center A powerful and professional set of topics and speakers has been established for the Lawrence Professional Development Seminar. We are excited about the line-up and expect you will want to be there. Topics include Cloud Computing, XBRL, the Impact of Replacing GAAP with IFRS, Communicating with the Current Generation, Federal Grants Management, and Dealing with High Profile Fraud. Speakers include Andrew Chen, Associate Professor of Business at KU, Rajendra Srivastava, Distinguished Professor and Director of Ernst & Young Center for Auditing, Research and Advanced Technology; Timothy Shaftel, Jordan Haines Teaching Professor in Business at KU; Alee Phillips, KU School of Business; and Don Holland, Director of Internal Audit at KU. Membership Scholarships of up to $90 were available at this Seminar
- May 11, 2011 Ron Estes; Kansas State Treasurer - "An Overview of the Treasurer's Office"; As State Treasurer Estes oversees an office that currently handles over $20 Billion with an annual operating budget of $3.5 million. Key programs in the office are Bonds Services, Cash Management, Unclaimed Property, the Ag Loan and Housing Loan Deposit Programs and the Kansas 529 Education Savings Program, which has more than 143,000 accounts with total assets of over $2.7 billion. The Treasurer's office is a fee-funded agency.
- May 19, 2010 - "Ethics in the Workplace." // This special 8-hour Seminar was held in Topeka, Kansas. (21.8 KB PDF) Our featured speakers included Barbara Carswell, First Vice President and Regional Coordinator since 1997 for Capitol Federal; Andrew Allison, PH.D, Executive Director of the Kansas Health Policy Authority; and Ted Clark, Director of the Anti-Fraud Division of the Kansas Insurance Department. The Audio Seminar entitled, "Those Faint Signals: Learning to Catch Ethical Slippage Before It's Too Late" was included at 1:00.
- March 3, 2010 - "Fraud - Identifying it, Understanding it, Eliminating it." // This special 8-hour Seminar was held in Lawrence, Kansas. (21.8 KB PDF)
- October 7, 2009 - "Internal Controls" // This 5-hour Seminar provided both theory and real-world examples of issues and problems that develop when Internal Controls are weak or not supported by Management.(21.8 KB PDF)
- September 2, 2009 - "The Effect of Current Government Policies on Personal Finance" 21.8 KB PDF)This 4 CPE Seminar merged a special two-hour Lecture with the September Audio Seminar on grants management.